When you think of UV light, you probably think of the sun, however only UV-A and UV-B make it to the earth’s atmosphere. UV-C is absorbed by the earths ozone layer. Commercially available UV-C light is artificially produced to harness it’s disinfecting properties. 

Artificially-produced UV-C has been used successfully as a germicide and bactericide for decades. It can kill or disable the growth of micro-organisms like bacteria, viruses and other pathogens, and it provides a chemical free alternative to other disinfection methods such as Chlorine.

Due to its effectiveness and advantages, UV-C is being used for an increasing range of applications. It is used, for example, for disinfection in wastewater treatment plants, laboratories, air-conditioning systems and even pools and aquariums as well as in various stages of food and beverage industrial processes.

UV-C is also used in medical and hospital settings to sterilise instruments, work surfaces and the air. Usually, mercury-vapor lamps are used for generating germicidal UV-C.

Technological advances suggest that it will soon be possible to have UV-C light emitting diodes (LEDs), which will lead to an even larger number of applications.

UV-C causes photochemical reactions in DNA & RNA resulting in the elimination of microbes and prevents the microbes from reproducing. UV-C kills all kinds of pathogens, not only limited to COVID-19. It kills 99.9% of viruses, bacteria, fungi and mould at wavelengths between 200nm – 280nm, making it more effective than both UV-A and UV-B for disinfecting. 

In spite of the negative association of mixing radiation with food, ultraviolet light is a safe and proven way to kill pathogens and extend the shelf life of food and beverages. Much of the food we consume is processed using UV-C to thoroughly disinfect prior to consumer use.


Lamps used are in Risk Group 3.

UV LIGHT HAZARD: To prevent possible serious injury, eyes and skin should not be exposed to direct or reflected ultraviolet energy emitted by this product. 

CAUTION: Ultraviolet energy in use. Do not activate the unit with the door open or open door while the product is active. Never look at lamps while they are on, lit, or illuminated. To eliminate all exposure to UV-C light before servicing, turn off the power switch and disconnect from the power source.


Lamp disposal is the same as disposing of fluorescent tubes. Follow your local recycling rules and regulations. 

For replacement lamps please contact us or alternatively contact your nearest lighting supplier for identical replacement parts, which are readily available.  If self-installing always do so with a high degree of caution. If in doubt do not hesitate to contact us directly for advice.


A lamp breaking is extremely unlikely to have any impact on your health. If a lamp breaks, ventilate the room for 30 minutes and remove the parts, preferably with gloves. Put them in a sealed plastic bag and take it to your local waste facilities for recycling. Do not use a vacuum cleaner.


Turn off all power and disconnect from the wall power sockets

The exterior casing can be wiped down with a damp cloth and mild, non-abrasive detergent as required.

Avoid liquid spills onto the internals of the unit as this may spill onto electrics. Should this occur, disconnect from the mains immediately and remove grid above tube. Clean up spill carefully.

If in any doubt contact with regards to any damage that may have occurred to your unit do not hesitate to contact us to arrange for a technician to visit you.